Use the following link to access information regarding School Councils:
- School Council Handbook
- Involving Parents in the School: Tips for School Councils
- Welcome to Your School Council
According to WRDSB Board Policy 1003:
1.3 School Councils are “to focus on strategies and activities which support student learning, achievement, and well-being”.
In accordance with the WRDSB School Council Handbook (2015), a Public School Council is:
- An advisory role committee only; the ultimate responsibility for the administration and day-to-day school operations rests with the Principal
- A means to advise the Principal on any matter pertaining to pupil achievement
- A voice to provide input to the school Board, when asked for input on policies, plans etc.
Effective Public School Councils:
- Focus on student learning and the best interests of all students
- Build a sense of community
- Promote an inclusive environment, where all parent engagement is encouraged and nurtured
- Organize activities in the school
- Create an open and transparent relationship with the entire school community
- Provide advice and comments, where possible, on areas such as:
- the school-year calendar
- the school code of student conduct, curriculum
- program goals and priorities
- the preparation of the school’s “Principal Profile Form”
A Public School Council shall meet a minimum of four times per school year. Our School Council meets the second Wednesday of the month at 7:00 pm and is open to any parent or guardian of a student presently attending our school. Council members consist of parents/guardians, the school principal, school staff and members of the school community. All school council meets will be done using Google Meets. Please email me at my email address to join: firstname.lastname@example.org.
21/22 Meeting Dates:
- September 22, 2021.
- November 10, 2021.
- February 9, 2022.
- April 13, 2022.
- May 11, 2022
In accordance with WRDSB AP4017, the Principal determines whether there is a need to fundraise from year to year, based on the purposes of public education including:
Our School Council has raised funds in a variety of ways:
- Poultry product sales (twice per year)
- Poinsettia sales
- Chocolate bar sales
- Garage sale
- Holiday bake sale and raffle
In the past, funds raised have been used to:
- purchase technology (e.g., data projectors, chromebooks)
- pay for presentations and experiences that are brought to the school (e.g., scientists in the classroom, tinker truck, author visits)
- make school yard improvements
If the Principal determines that fundraising is necessary, funds may be raised to support one or more of the following initiatives:
- Capital projects (e.g., installation of creative playground equipment 2021)
- Playground improvements (e.g., Gagaball pits 2020)
- Specialty items (e.g., equipment for our Makers Space, jerseys for inter-school sports teams (2019), materials for skating rink (ongoing))
- In-school experiences/presentations
- Our guiding principle is “Bring the World to Floradale Public School”. Our goal is to bring as many experiences into our school so each and every one of our students can benefit.
- In the past, School Council has raised funds to cover costs for special guests such as Tinker Truck, Scientists in the School, an author visit, a nutritionist visit, and historical presentations
- Grade 8 Graduation
- Note, there may be years when the Principal determines that there is no need for the School Council to run fundraising campaigns.
Our School Council also:
- Organizes, prepares, and serves our annual Thanksgiving Dinner (not able to this year- 2021)
- Maintains the yearly skating rink
- Hosts Educator Appreciation Luncheons
We are grateful for all that the Floradale Public School Council does to enhance the learning and achievement of each and every one of our students. If you would like to learn more or get involved, please call the school or join us at our next meeting.
2021-2022 Meeting Minutes