Other Resources on the Internet
www.nctm.org/resources/families.aspx NCTM – National Council of Teachers of Mathematics site provides additional resources for families to support children in learning mathematics. http://www.eworkshop.on.ca Ministry of Education web site for teachers and parents to explore literacy, numeracy and daily physical education. http://www.dreambox.com An elementary math web based support for students. It promotes mathematical understanding of number sense concepts and encourages student perseverance.
TED Talks on Math Education
Dan Meyer – Math Class Needs a Makeover http://www.ted.com/talks/dan _meyer math curriculum makeover.html Conrad Wolfram – Teaching Kids Real Math with Computers http://www.ted.com/talks/conrad wolfram teaching kids real math with computers.html
Math Night Tips for Parents/Guardians
Tips for Supporting Your Child
- Talk to your child’s teacher when you have questions.
- Be Positive – every child can can learn mathematics with perseverance.
- Be Less Helpful – always try to have the math come from your child and not the other way around.
- Try not to tell your child how to do the math. They may not understand your thinking.
- Instead, ask questions that encourage understanding (“Why did you do that?”, “Why does that work?”, “How do you know you are right?”, “Is there another way you could do it?”).
- Encourage your children to question and wonder with them.
- Set High Expectations- children need to learn to persevere, to adjust thinking and strategies if their first attempt at a solution is unsuccessful. Encourage them to keep trying, take a break and come back to it.